In the event you’d like to update a theme using a zip file, you’ll need to follow a few easy steps. With the theme zip file ready on your desktop:
1. Head to AppearanceThemes and switch to any other theme that you have installed, Twenty Sixteen for example.
2. Hover over the theme you’re attempting to update and click Theme Details. In the bottom right corner click the red Delete button.
3. Under AppearanceThemes, click Add New and then Upload Theme.
4. Click Choose File, select the theme zip file on your desktop and click the Install Now button.
No theme settings or date will be lost during this process. If however you have directly code in theme files via AppearanceEditor, those changes will be lost.
If you’re using the above process to update from a free to a premium Puro theme, perhaps because automatic upgrade has failed, please ensure that your order number is inserted in the Puro Order Code field under SettingsGeneral, after completing the upgrade.
The Safari browser automatically un-zips compressed files during download. Theme files need to stay zipped to be installed using the above process. To stop Safari from un-zipping files:
- Open Safari.
- Click Preferences.
- Uncheck the option Open “safe” files after downloading.