[Resolved] 10+ Users Crashing Site (Advice)

• Author

Tomas Sears
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Hope your well. Just a quick question, not sure if you would be able to help or not…

I have 2 websites hosted with GoDaddy, both on the same shared hosting. The server has 2gb ram, 2 cpus, 2048 I/O and 150 Entry Processes.

My problem is that the sites seem to crash and hit maximum resources in GoDaddy CPanel when I get around 10+ visitors to the website. I know this as they are school websites and I can see users at the school using the website on their screen and as soon as 10 hit the website it goes slow and then crashes and takes around 10 minutes to come back up. I have contacted GoDaddy and they can see nothing wrong with the server.

Just after some advise on what you would check first and what possible causes could be. I’ve enabled cashing and images shrinking but no luck as of yet! Its strange as it used to be ok with multipul users!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks,
    Tom

Tomas Sears
    Participant

Sorry, forgot to put the site address! http://www.stemcollege.co.uk/

Andrew Misplon
    Keymaster

Hi Tom

Unfortunately, in situations like this, the only thing I know to do is increase the resources available. That means moving to a VPS or a managed dedicated server. If you have access to a Sys. Admin to setup a server for you, you could also look at an un-managed dedicated server. You don’t know how many sites GoDaddy have on the server and it isn’t up to you to choose so there, unfortunately, isn’t much else you can do other than increase the resources available.

Tomas Sears
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

No worries – I thought this may be the case, like you said the server my website is on may be getting over used!

I may look into a self hosted server as we can over-spec the server.

Thanks again!

Andrew Misplon
    Keymaster

For sure.

If you have access to a Sys. Admin, someone that can setup Ubuntu (or your chosen Linux distro) and configure the server, then you could also consider Digital Ocean: https://www.digitalocean.com/. We’re using it for this site and are super happy with the value and performance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Scroll to top